Tuesday, February 28, 2012

AeroMexico's Salon Premier ... Or, How to Avoid Screaming Children at the Airport


If there's one thing I dislike in airports – or any public space for that matter – it's screaming children.

I don't want them running wild around me when I'm at a restaurant, in a mall, or while I'm waiting for a flight.

Fortunately, on a recent flight out of Mexico City International Airport, I found an escape from children and the rest of the chaos one often encounters at the airport.

Thank you, Aeroméxico's Salon Premier VIP lounge.

As a business class customer with Copa Airlines, I was given a complimentary pass to relax in the Aeroméxico lounge prior to my flight (thanks to a partnership between Copa and Aeromexico).

Despite the presence of a Carl's Jr. in the food court in Terminal 2 (nothing beats a Carl's Jr. guacamole bacon cheeseburger), the Aeroméxico lounge is a far more pleasant place to have a drink and a snack before departing.

I arrived at the lounge at 9:30 am, giving myself about an hour and a half to enjoy the comfort before heading to the gate to catch my 11:45 am flight.

What I found were chairs that are soft and comfortable. There's free Wi-Fi, and power outlets are plentiful so you don't have to rely on your laptop's battery power.

In the center of the salon, there's a traditional bar, where servers will be happy to take your order.

But a short distance away, there's the self-serve snack bar. That's where I headed first, to get a cup of Café Punta del Cielo coffee (a premier Mexican brand known for its coffee from the states of Chiapas, Oaxaca, and Veracruz), a muffin, and a fruit cup.

Then, it was on to enjoy the calm, soothing environment, while catching up on the day's headlines, thanks to CNN on the big screen TVs that are scattered throughout the salon.

I also perused through the ample selection of complimentary newspapers and magazines.

Once finished, it was time to return to the snack bar. What's that I see? Japanese peanuts? Don't mind if I do.

(For the record, the snack bar also featured tea, juice, yogurt, and a selection of fruit bars. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe there were also some kind of vegetables present, but that just never grabs my attention.)

Then, it was time to attend to a few emails. Soon, I noticed that something new was being put out at the snack bar – little turkey sandwiches.

They were simple, but mighty tasty.

And should you so desire, you can also take the time to visit the spa or the wine room while you're waiting for your flight.

But finally, it was 11 a.m., and time for me to go to catch my flight. This is one occasion where I would have been quite happy to endure a flight delay. But alas, no such luck on this day.

Still, my thanks to Aeroméxico and their staff, for making my visit to their Salon Premier a welcome one.  It was a sea of tranquility, a space to relax, absent screaming children or any of the other annoyances often found in the public areas of the airport.

(Note: Aeroméxico's Salon Premier in Terminal 2 at Mexico City Int'l Airport is available to customers with a Salon Premier membership, or those passengers flying first/business class with Aeromexico or their airline partners Delta, Copa, and LAN Airlines. Elite level frequent flyers may also be eligible, depending on their status. Day passes are also available for USD$30.)

No comments:

Post a Comment